What are the MAT Admission Requirements?

  •   Bachelor’s degree (3.0 GPA in bachelor’s degree or higher. * If a student does not meet the 3.0 or higher undergraduate GPA requirement, contact an MAT advisor for more information).
  •       Two letters of recommendation         
  •       Personal statement detailing why you want to be a teacher

What are the program testing requirements?
  Students must also complete the additional requirements to enroll in fieldwork courses, Clinical Practice I & II (CP), and complete the MAT program. 

Deadline for additional requirements is February 1.  Submission of these extra requirements is necessary for completion of the program.  Students CANNOT proceed to the Clinical Practice sequence, and subsequently complete the program, without successfully completing and submitting these requirements by February 1 prior to the start of the CP sequence.

What is the program course sequence?
  Admitted students can begin with the 4-5 introductory courses.  Students CANNOT proceed to the clinical practice sequence without first meeting the requirements of a February 1 deadline (see previous question).  Because it is impossible to graduate in an initial licensure program (ie ECE, Elementary, or Secondary; NOT Special Ed) without completing the clinical practice sequence, we strongly encourage students to complete the testing requirements very early on in the program so as to ensure satisfactory progress towards graduation and program completion.  Early test completion ensures your ability to meet your desired February 1 deadline.

Can I apply for the MAT degree program while I am still an undergraduate?
  YES! Students can formally apply for the MAT Graduate Degree Program in their final undergraduate semester. Students need to meet all of the initial admission requirements at the time of application EXCEPT for the bachelor’s degree which would be confirmed in the semester prior to official enrollment.


What is Praxis Core and what does Praxis Core or Equivalent mean?
  The NJDOE has a basic skills requirement for all teachers. The Praxis Core is one test that meets this requirement. Praxis Core is administered by ETS and has three parts: Reading, Writing, and Math. You can take all three parts at once (combined) or you can take the tests individually.

In addition to Praxis Core scores, New Jersey also accepts SAT, ACT, or GRE. We refer to this as Praxis Core or Equivalent. If you have “passing scores” from one of these other tests, you can use those scores to meet the basic skills requirement.  You must have an official score report sent to our office if you chose to use SAT, ACT, or GRE.  If you take Praxis, be sure to designate Rutgers Camden as a score recipient so that we can gain official access to your score report.  If you take Praxis outside of NJ, be sure to also designate the NJDOE as a score recipient so they can verify your score at the time of licensure.

New Jersey allows students to “mix and match” test scores. For example, if you have a passing Math score on the SAT, but not in Reading or Writing, you only then need to take the Praxis Core Reading and Writing. You can then submit your SAT Math score and your Praxis Core Reading and Writing scores to meet the basic skills requirement.

What is Praxis II and how do I know which test to take?
Praxis II is a content area test. To check which test you need:  NJ State Licensure click on Test Requirements

ETS site for NJ:

VERY IMPORTANT:  For secondary candidates (Foreign Language, English, Mathematics, Social Studies, and a natural science area): The Praxis II test that you must take is the Content Knowledge test. Passing the Content Knowledge tests allows you teach in middle and high school settings. DO NOT register for middle school Praxis II tests. Middle School tests are ONLY for licensed teachers adding on an additional teaching license. See an MAT advisor if you have questions.

Students who plan to pursue a natural science area: Biology, Chemistry, or Physics require two tests: General Science Content Knowledge AND the aforementioned science area Content Knowledge test.

Is there an order to when I take Praxis tests?
   NO! You can take tests in any order (Praxis II first and then Praxis Core or vice versa).

What scores does the MAT require on Praxis tests?
 You need to have the New Jersey identified minimum New Jersey DOE passing Praxis scores. The MAT does not accept the “flex rule” (Grade Point Average (GPA) and Praxis Flexibility ) for Praxis exams.

Do I have to wait for Praxis test results before I can register for or take a different test? (For example: Do I have to wait to see how I did on my Praxis Core before I can register for the Praxis II Elementary Multiple Subjects?)
 NO! You can register for different Praxis tests at any time. Please note though, if you did not pass a test that there is a wait time for taking it again. See ETS for their policy guidelines regarding wait times before being allowed to take the same test again.


How can I obtain a Middle School license?
  In NJ, a middle school license does not stand alone.  To obtain one, you must first earn a K-6 or a subject area license onto which you can add a (different subject area) middle school license.  You must have at least 15 credits in the middle school subject area, and you must take and pass the middle school Praxis II test in that same subject area.  Foreign languages also require the OPI in the language.  NOTE – if you earn a P-12 license in a particular subject area, you do NOT need a middle school license in that same subject area.  The P-12 license will cover you to take that subject area in all grade levels.  If you want a middle school license in a DIFFERENT subject area, the aforementioned details would apply.

What grades levels can I teach with a Subject area license?
  Subject area licenses cover grades P-12.  In practice, though, most jobs will be at the middle or high school level.

Can I add on licenses after I complete the program?
  Yes, as long as you meet the DOE requirements for the new license, you can fairly easily add a new subject area to your first license.  You do not need to student teach again in the new area, nor will you need to complete edTPA again.  Usually, the add-on just requires additional content credits and testing.

What is the difference between a P-3 and a K-6 license? Why is there so much overlap?
 The grades levels a license covers are determined by the NJDOE.  The P-3 license has much more of an early childhood focus and is often needed to teach in a district that houses an early chilhood building or center – a place where all P-3 students from the district might go and all teachers in the building hold the P-3 license (aka are early childhood “specialists”).  For our program, the Early Childhood Concentration (for the P-3 license) does include one extra class – the Early Childhood Environment.  This class is required, per the state, to distinguish those teachers-to-be as more knowledgeable in the early childhood field.  Otherwise, the Rutgers course sequences for Early Childhood and Elementary do mirror one another.  The Praxis II tests also are unique to each area, so the student needs to take the test that corresponds to the desired license.